Each year, Music Harvest offers internships to ambitious young students/graduates to participate on our internship programme in Nablus. This presents a rare opportunity for young professionals to accrue valuable experience in an international NGO, and help them get a foothold into the sector. We primarily look for Masters Students or graduates of Masters Programmes for our programme. We’re looking for individuals who can think independently whilst quickly adapting to changes on the ground amidst an ever changing political landscape. Applicants ideally have a broad range of interests and skill sets. Given the local political and cultural context of the internship, applicants should be flexible and patient in their work, not becoming dismayed or disappointed by the inevitable unforseen circumstances that may slow down or even derail carefully planned projects.
During the placement, volunteers can expect to acquire invaluable experience and significantly enhance and add to their existing skill sets.
The Internship Programme is designed to support development professionals who are still at university or at an early stage in their career. Interns will build on relevant academic or professional experience to gain the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to embark in a career in development. The programme will benefit interns through the experience and learning they gain, while at the same time Music Harvest will contribute to the growth of future potential development workers.
The successful applicant will gain valuable experience of how a small NGO is run in a challenging and disrupted environment in Nablus, Palestine. The intern will assist in the daily running of the NGO, specifically focusing on building capacity and improving the quality of our services to our stakeholders. The intern will work in close collaboration with our local parters, identifying areas of our work that warrant specific attention. Additional tasks such as managing our network of volunteers and maintaining relationships with our funders will also fall under the brief of the intern.
The Intern’s key skills/competencies:
- Relevant third level qualification or its equivalent
- Knowledge and familiarity of sectoral tools, practices and trends
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good writing skills
- Good analytical skills and financial / accounting competency
- Interest in international development and keen to develop a career in International Development
- Understanding of programme cycle management within a development context
- Language skills preferred
- Computer proficiency, especially in the use of MS Word and Excel and internet research skills
- Capacity to work well individually and also within an team
- Understanding and commitment to Music Harvest’s Values, Mission and Vision
- Reporting to: Music Harvest Director
- Duration: 3 months
- Location of Position: Nablus, Palestine
- Remuneration: Unpaid Internship
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintaining strong relationships with our stakeholders: both our local partners and our international funders
- Managing our international and local network of volunteers
- Continue to expand the impact and reach of Music Harvest locally, whilst developing capacity building projects with our local partners
- Reporting to MH staff on weekly basis
- Contribute to continuous improvement of work processes
Extensive experience in music education and knowledge of Arabic is valued but by no means essential.
Our Internship Programme runs all year round. However we do close during certain periods of the year. For the Palestinian exam months of January and May, along with the month of Ramadan we suspend our services. In 2015 Ramadan falls during the month of July. Upcoming placement dates are as follows:
Autumn/Winter 2015: September 7th – December 7th Spring 2016: February 1st – May 1st
Interns are interviewed and accepted on a continuous basis, hence applicants are encouraged to send their applications in as soon as possible as places generally fill up well in advance. Interns are expected to commit to the entirety of the placement dates outlined above. However, depending on the quality of your application, candidates may be accepted on to our programme for shorter terms.
If you are interested in applying to our internship programme, then download our application here.